We are asking for quilters to make some 6 1/2" or 12 1/2" string quilt blocks and send them to us. These will be put together to make quilts to put on the beds at Children's Square. String blocks are easy to do and are a great way to use up those little scraps you don't know what to do with anyway! Let's pull our strings together!
- Cut a foundation square (use thin fabric, muslin, ugly fabric) about 1/2" bigger than the finished size you want (7" or 13").
- Select a strip of scrap fabric (called strings) and lay across the foundation diagonally, right side up. Make sure the string completely covers the foundation square.
- Select a second string and lay right side down on the previous strip. Sew a 1/4" seam through these layers. Flip the second strip over and press the seam.
- Select another string and lay it right side down on the previous strip and sew seam, flip, and press.
- Continue this process until the entire foundation square is covered. With a square ruler (if you have one), square up the block to the finished size (6 1/2" or 12 1/2").
This will be an on-going effort throughout the year. If it is successful, we will continue it beyond 2013.
You can send your finished squares to:
Quilts from the Bluffs
3118 Gold Rush Road
Council Bluffs, IA 51501
Or bring them to the monthly quilt day the second Saturday of each month.
Council Bluffs, IA 51503
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
Thank you so much for your help!!