Sunday, February 5, 2012

Share the Stash

I have made a friend through Quilter's Club of America that lives in Minnesota.  I wanted to share with you how we are helping her out by "sharing our stash".

I will share some snippets of our conversations so you can join me in praying for what she is trying to do and to understand how our group can touch others in such a simple and practical way.  She is working with teenagers that are incarcerated and has planned a program that will teach them to sew.

----------------
As excited about this project as I sound doesn't begin to express how I really feel!  Learning to sew is a disclipine/skill that can transfer to so many other areas of your life! Self-esteem, the ability to follow directions, problem solving, planning ahead and the list goes on. People like you who are willing to donate play such a big part in their success and I thank you!!
----------------
I have the kids, all of them,  starting on pillows for the first project. To get them excited they are coloring white fabric with crayons. We'll iron the color into the fabric and then sew and stuff. I have spoken with a couple of the kids individually and they are excited about making a pillow case. I'll post pics of the projects as they are completed.
----------------
There are mulitiple safety issues that have to be considered as some of these kids are high risk cutters and some can be quite agressive but I think I have it all worked out in my head now and we are moving ahead with the first week in Feb to start!!!! 
----------------

I have sent her two boxes of scrap/fabric so far and plan to send her more.  We have been so blessed in the funding and donations we have received and it just seems like the responsible thing to do to pass that on to other deserving efforts.  Please keep Cindy, teenagers involved, and the program in your prayers.

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful of you to do that!! It's amazing how something as simple as learning to sew, quilt or knit can effect our outlook on the world, but then, you already know that, don't you?!!

    ReplyDelete