Friday, August 26, 2011

What is a Quilt Ministry?

I often get asked, "What is a quilt ministry?"  I'm not sure if I answer this question well so I thought I would try to write it out here and see how it sounds. 

A quilt ministry is a community service-minded ministry.  There is usually a focus on a particular cause or organization.  With Quilts from the Bluffs, we support the Omaha/Council Bluffs chapter of Project Linus, Mercy Hospital Critical Care Unit, Gabrielle's Corner and other requests to meet a one-time need.  We are looking into working with Children's Square as well.  It is important to understand who you are making the quilts for and to stay focused.  We know we cannot possibly make quilts for everyone that has a need but we can make a difference for a few organizations.

Another aspect of a quilt ministry, and one that is not as obvious until you are involved in one, is the relationships your have and the support you receive by meeting regularly with a group of women that share the same passion.  We get to know each other, share family stories, personal struggles, health issues and build a network of support that is amazing.  This is the best kind of small group there is in my opinion!  Quilters are very caring and generous people. 

So, what do you think of when you think of a quilt ministry?  I would love to hear your comments.


3 comments:

  1. I feel it is a concerned group of people, wishing to provide comfort and help through our gifts of sewing and quilting. I pray with each quilt as I make it, that God will provide whatever it is that the recipient needs and that God will comfort them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you get to feed your body and soul with decadent food and treats! Calories shared do not count!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a beautiful job of explaining a Quilt Ministry. You captured that it ministers not only to the quilt recipients, but the quilt makers!

    ReplyDelete